State of West Virginia
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Tax Audit Clerk, Trainee - Kanawha Co.
at State of West Virginia
- Nature of Work
Tax Dept. Overview: The department is headquartered in Charleston, with regional offices across the state in Beckley, Clarksburg, Martinsburg, Parkersburg and Wheeling. Utilizing the skills of our employees, the department provides customer service to both individual and business taxpayers as well as professionals who prepare taxes on behalf of their clients.
Continuous Recruitment, Select Locations: The DOP anticipates several vacancies in the near future for this classification. This recruitment is not for a specific vacancy but to generate a pool of interested applicants. All anticipated positions are located in Kanawha County with the Tax Department. Make sure you mark in your county selection any county you would be willing to work in or commute to so you can be placed on the proper register.
Note: There is NO written test necessary for this recruitment. Applicants should apply online and submit any required education verification documents. Applicants will be evaluated based on their education and any relevant work experience documented in their application.
Duties: In a training and developmental level, examines and audits tax returns & other related documents for completeness, accuracy, and compliance in accordance with statutory rules, regulations, policies and procedures governing the lawful and timely completion of tax returns. Tax returns worked vary considerably by work unit within the agency; examples of areas of specialization include but are not limited to personal income tax; corporate net tax; mineral assets; oil and gas; motor fuel; excise taxes; and others. Requires an in-depth knowledge of State and Federal tax laws, regulations, filing requirements and billing procedures. Requires independent judgment and knowledge of theoretical principles in determining taxable status based on issues and criteria as prescribed by state or federal laws. Requires performance of multiple steps to complete audit functions. Correspond and communicate with taxpayers or their representatives in person, in writing, by telephone/fax, or by other methods. Provide taxpayer assistance and education regarding the applicable tax returns and filing requirements. Verifies mathematical accuracy of returns, applications of credits, calculation of interest, additions, and/or penalties and process refunds. Using a personal computer, utilizes various software and applications. Understands and utilizes the functions of the State Tax Department integrated tax system. Reviews and tests existing and new functionality within the system, identifies and reports problems or issues with the system. May communicate with and advise field audit personnel and recommend audit candidates. Produces, maintains and updates informational data in the form of instructions, notices and compliance manuals. Creates documents, forms, reports, spreadsheets, databases, etc. May communicate by phone, in person or in written form with auditors, accountants, attorneys and corporate and government officials. Requires strict confidentiality in regard to taxpayer information. Utilizes various office equipment including pc and software, calculator, scanner, copier, printers. Performs related work as required. Applicants are subject to an extensive criminal background check including fingerprinting and a tax compliance check.
Click The APPLY Link Above To Apply Online. Do not use a paper application unless you cannot apply online. If you must use a paper application due to disability or other valid reason, please call our office (304) 558-3950 (8:30am-4:30pm) for special instructions.
IMPORTANT: Your eligible score will be based on information provided in your application; therefore, make sure your application is detailed and complete. You may attach a resume and other documents; however, you should NEVER enter "See Resume" on the application. You MUST complete ALL parts of the application, including the Work Experience section. NOTE: Jobs on your application that do not have a salary amount will be considered volunteer and will NOT be counted as qualifying. Estimate salary if necessary.
Eligibility Length: This posting is for a Continuous recruitment because of an expected need for applicants. Applicants will be placed on a database of eligible applicants for 1 year. You will only be eligible for vacancies in counties you select. After 1 year applicants who remain interested in this job title MUST re-apply to be considered. The Division of Personnel cannot say with any certainty the location or number of future vacancies, only that the agency has expressed an anticipated hiring need. If an applicant wishes more specific information about future hiring plans please contact the hiring agency directly.
Job Interest Card: You may complete an online Job Interest Card at our main jobs page to receive an email notice anytime jobs not currently available for application are posted. Note: ONLY recruitments not currently open will appear on Job Interest Card notifications so please check the current listings thoroughly to avoid missing an opportunity.
As a condition of employment, an inquiry into job-related information will be completed which may include, but not limited to, criminal records, abuse registry records, driving records, employment history, and education and training. Failing to cooperate with this process, providing false and incomplete information, or discovery of disqualifying information will result in denial of or dismissal from employment or denial of transfer irrespective of when discovered.
- Examples of Work
- Acquires knowledge of state tax laws and ability to examine tax returns for compliance.
- Verifies mathematical accuracy and determines allowable credits, exemptions, methods, tax due and tax refunds by computing interest and additions to tax for late tax payments and by reviewing returns for correct name, address, county code, social security numbers and/or federal identification number.
- Utilizes the computer database to research and compile information, perform updates, and audit returns.
- Processes change order for taxpayer file.
- Secures additional information from the taxpayer by letter or telephone, assists taxpayers with questions concerning deadlines, penalties, tax statutes regulations; communicates with revenue agents, business officials and taxpayers to secure and verify account information.
- Works with supervisor in learning how to issue assessments and liens; learns to compute and issue manual or computer generated billings.
- Prepares files for legal action on delinquent accounts.
- Examines returns of taxpayers to determine if a liability exists and establishes the taxpayer's accuracy in determining what type of business is being conducted to determine which tax classifications are appropriate when reporting gross taxable income.
- Reviews payments received for accuracy, records the payment, and forwards to the Cashier's office when the account examination is complete.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to learn state tax laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures pertaining to applicable tax statutes administered by division.
- Ability to perform basic arithmetical calculations.
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy in communicating with taxpayers.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively, both orally and in writing, with co-workers, taxpayers, attorneys, certified public accountants, and corporate officials.
- Ability to learn to use a computer terminal.
- Ability to establish and maintain up-to-date files and records of taxpayer's accounts.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality with taxpayer information.
- Ability to locate missing tax information using procedures such as reviews of past tax returns or drafting letters to taxpayer requesting such information.
- Minimum Qualifications
Training: Graduation from a standard four year high school or the equivalent, including completion of a bookkeeping or accounting course in a secondary, vocational, or business schools.
Experience: Three years of full-time or equivalent part-time paid experience at the State Tax Division, or three years of full-time or equivalent part-time paid experience in bookkeeping or a closely related position where accurate mathematical computations, record keeping, and some public contact were primary duties.Substitution: Successful completion of a course of study in an regionally accredited college or university which included three semester hours of math or accounting may substitute for the experience as described above on a year-for-year basis.
NOTICE: If you are claiming college or other post-high school education or license, you MUST attach or provide by mail a legible copy of your OFFICIAL education transcript, license or training record. YOU WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR EMPLOYMENT UNTIL THIS VERIFICATION HAS BEEN RECEIVED. To avoid missing a job opportunity, it is important that you provide this verification as soon as possible. You only have to provide this verification one time. It is not required with every application. Attach documents to the online application, or mail to: Division of Personnel, 1900 Kanawha Blvd. E., Charleston, WV 25305.