State of West Virginia
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Medical Laboratory Technician
at State of West Virginia
- Nature of Work
Continuous Recruitment, Select Locations: The DOP anticipates several vacancies in the near future for this classification. This recruitment is not for a specific vacancy but to generate a pool of interested applicants. Positions are located either at Welch Community Hospital in McDowell County or at Mildred Mitchell Bateman hospital in Cabell County. Make sure you mark in your county selection any county you would be willing to work in or commute to so you can be placed on the proper register.
Nature of Work:
Under general supervision, performs work at the full-performance level by conducting medical laboratory tests in clinical areas such as chemistry, hematology, urinalysis, bacteriology, serology, parasitology, and blood banking to provide data for use in the treatment and diagnoses of diseases of patients at state operated facilities or local health department clinics. Also performs required routine laboratory tests for facility staff. Performs minor maintenance and calibration of equipment. Performs related work as required.
Click The APPLY Link Above To Apply Online. Do not use a paper application unless you cannot apply online. If you must use a paper application due to disability or other valid reason, please call our office (304) 558-3950 (8:30am-4:30pm) for special instructions.
IMPORTANT: Your eligible score will be based on information provided in your application; therefore, make sure your application is detailed and complete. You may attach a resume and other documents; however, you should NEVER enter "See Resume" on the application. You MUST complete ALL parts of the application, including the Work Experience section. NOTE: Jobs on your application that do not have a salary amount will be considered volunteer and will NOT be counted as qualifying. Estimate salary if necessary.
Eligibility Length: This posting is for a Continuous recruitment because of an expected need for applicants. Applicants will be placed on a database of eligible applicants for 1 year. You will only be eligible for vacancies in counties you select. After 1 year applicants who remain interested in this job title MUST re-apply to be considered. The Division of Personnel cannot say with any certainty the location or number of future vacancies, only that the agency has expressed an anticipated hiring need. If an applicant wishes more specific information about future hiring plans please contact the hiring agency directly.
Job Interest Card: You may complete an online Job Interest Card at our main jobs page to receive an email notice anytime jobs not currently available for application are posted. Note: ONLY recruitments not currently open will appear on Job Interest Card notifications so please check the current listings thoroughly to avoid missing an opportunity.
As a condition of employment, an inquiry into job-related information will be completed which may include, but not limited to, criminal records, abuse registry records, driving records, employment history, and education and training. Failing to cooperate with this process, providing false and incomplete information, or discovery of disqualifying information will result in denial of or dismissal from employment or denial of transfer irrespective of when discovered.
- Examples of Work
- Collects, cultivates, isolates, identifies and analyzes specimens; cuts, stains and mounts tissue sections for microscopic analysis; and groups, types and cross-matches blood of donors and recipients to assure compatibility.
- Reads and interprets physicians' or supervisor's orders to determine specific testing requirements.
- Explains test procedures to patients to secure their cooperation and to relieve their anxiety about the test.
- Conducts appropriate clinical test preparation and processing procedures.
- Uses proper safety precautions, following standard procedures.
- Maintains proper logs, files and reports.
- May be responsible for inventory and ordering supplies.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of appropriate medical laboratory testing procedures.
- Knowledge of standard laboratory safety procedures.
- Skilled in laboratory equipment maintenance and calibration of diagnostic equipment.
- Skilled in obtaining specimens from patients.
- Ability to gain the confidence and cooperation of the patient.
- Ability to prepare and maintain proper records and reports.
- Minimum Qualifications
Graduation from a standard high school or the equivalent.
1) Two years of experience in a medical laboratory under the direct supervision of a medical laboratory technician, medical technologist or physician.
2) One year of in-service training in a Medical Laboratory Assistant Program accredited by the American Medical AssociationSubstitutions:
1) Associate degree from an regionally accredited college or university in an accredited medical laboratory program may substitute for the required experience.
2) Certification as a Clinical Laboratory Technician by the National Certification Agency for Medical Laboratory Personnel or as a Medical Laboratory Technician by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists may substitute for the required experience.
NOTICE: If you are claiming college or other post-high school education or license, you MUST attach or provide by mail a legible copy of your OFFICIAL education transcript, license or training record. YOU WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR EMPLOYMENT UNTIL THIS VERIFICATION HAS BEEN RECEIVED. To avoid missing a job opportunity, it is important that you provide this verification as soon as possible. You only have to provide this verification one time. It is not required with every application. Attach documents to the online application, or via email to: email@example.com, FAX: 304-957-0396, or mail to: Division of Personnel, Building 3, Suite 500, 1900 Kanawha Blvd. E., Charleston, WV 25305.