State of West Virginia
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Lottery Accounting Specialist 3
at State of West Virginia
- Nature of Work
Continuous Recruitment, Select Locations: The DOP anticipates several vacancies in the near future for this classification. This recruitment is not for a specific vacancy but to generate a pool of interested applicants. Positions are located in Kanawha County with the Lottery Commission. Make sure you mark in your county selection any county you would be willing to work in or commute to so you can be placed on the proper register.
Note: This is a repost of a previously announced vacancy. If you have applied for this classification previously you must reapply to this posting to be placed on the active register.
NATURE OF WORK:
Under limited supervision, performs advanced level, specialized accounting work in the recording, collection, balancing, control and reporting of West Virginia Lottery revenue. Work requires the application of professional accounting principles and specialized accounting techniques related the statutory accounting requirements and the specialized accounting systems of the West Virginia Lottery. Employees may specialize in the functional areas of games accounting, racetrack accounting or auditing, limited video lottery accounting or auditing, or table games accounting and revenue auditing. Occasional travel may be required. Positions may be located at the West Virginia Lottery headquarters or at state racetracks or casinos. Background and credit investigation and security clearance required for employment. Performs related work as required.
This is the advanced level in the Lottery Accounting Specialist series. Employees perform highly complex professional accounting work in the functional areas of games accounting, racetrack accounting or auditing, limited video lottery accounting or auditing, or table games accounting and revenue auditing. Performs highly complex expense, revenue and reconciliation reports; plans, assigns and reviews audit reports; assists in the development of agency accounting policies and procedures. Trains and mentors lower level lottery accounting specialists.
Click The APPLY Link Above To Apply Online. Do not use a paper application unless you cannot apply online. If you must use a paper application due to disability or other valid reason, please call our office (304) 558-3950 (8-4:30pm) for special instructions.
IMPORTANT: Your eligible score will be based on information provided in your application; therefore, make sure your application is detailed and complete. You may attach a resume and other documents; however, you should NEVER enter "See Resume" on the application. You MUST complete ALL parts of the application, including the Work Experience section. NOTE: Jobs on your application that do not have a salary amount will be considered volunteer and will NOT be counted as qualifying. Estimate salary if necessary.
Eligibility Length: This posting is for a Continuous recruitment because of an expected need for applicants. Applicants will be placed on a database of eligible applicants for 1 year. You will only be eligible for vacancies in counties you select. After 1 year applicants who remain interested in this job title MUST re-apply to be considered. The Division of Personnel cannot say with any certainty the location or number of future vacancies, only that the agency has expressed an anticipated hiring need. If an applicant wishes more specific information about future hiring plans please contact the hiring agency directly.
Job Interest Card: You may complete an online Job Interest Card at our main jobs page to receive an email notice anytime jobs not currently available for application are posted. Note: ONLY recruitments not currently open will appear on Job Interest Card notifications so please check the current listings thoroughly to avoid missing an opportunity.
As a condition of employment, an inquiry into job-related information will be completed which may include, but not limited to, criminal records, abuse registry records, driving records, employment history, and education and training. Failing to cooperate with this process, providing false and incomplete information, or discovery of disqualifying information will result in denial of or dismissal from employment or denial of transfer irrespective of when discovered.
- Examples of Work
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: (Any specific position in this class may not include all of the duties listed, nor do the examples listed cover all of the duties w hich may be assigned.)
- Performs highly complex expense, revenue and reconciliation accounting; plans, assigns and reviews audit reports.
- Assists in the development of agency accounting policies and procedures.
- Analyzes, interprets and records the more complex financial data from the sale of instant lottery tickets; analyzes and interprets the financial file interface for the online gaming system and adjusts data to the General Ledger; reviews and resolves adjustments.
- Summarizes and enters weekly totals for online games electronic funds transfers (EFT's) adjustments, lottery sales and payouts into Great Plains accounting system and reconciles online games accounts receivables.
- Balances weekly instant and online games EFT files and transfers files to Treasurer's Office for distribution to retailers' accounts; controls the revenue stream from retailers' to state lottery accounts.
- Prepares retailers' accounts receivables and weekly accounting records.
- Reconciles and balances lottery central accounting system and racetrack proprietary accounting systems for limited video lottery on a daily basis; conducts monthly racetrack limited video lottery cash audits; reviews and resolves adjustments.
- Ensures that gaming revenue and related taxes are properly reported and remitted by the gaming facility to the West Virginia Lottery; ensures the accuracy of the Master Games Report on a daily basis.
- Ensures compliance with the gaming facility's internal control system and the Minimum Internal Control Standards adopted by the West Virginia Lottery.
- Ensures the integrity of table games played at the gaming facilities.
- Analyzes video lottery central computer data in order to make daily adjustments to ensure the accuracy of revenue reporting of the statewide limited video lottery and racetrack video lottery programs.
- Performs routine field audits and forensic auditing of machine irregularities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of generally accepted professional accounting and auditing principles and practices.
- Knowledge of principles, practices, methods and techniques of government accounting.
- Knowledge of computerized accounting systems.
- Skill in the use of a personal computer in the area of database applications.
- Skill in the use of a calculator.
- Ability to assemble, analyze and prepare reports and statements of financial data.
- Ability to analyze and interpret accounting records.
- Ability to adapt and apply established accounting methods to a variety of accounting transactions.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, gaming industry officials and employees and lottery retailers.
- Minimum Qualifications
TRAINING: Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in accounting, business administration, finance, economics or closely related field with at least 18 semester hours in accounting.
EXPERIENCE: Four years of full-time or equivalent part-time paid professional accounting or auditing work.SUBSTITUTION: (1) Certification or registration as a public accountant in West Virginia may substitute for the required training and two years of the required experience. (2) Graduate study from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in accounting, business administration, finance, economics or closely related field may substitute for the required experience on a year-for-year basis.
NOTICE: If you are claiming college or other post-high school education or license, you MUST attach or provide by mail a legible copy of your OFFICIAL education transcript, license or training record. YOU WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR EMPLOYMENT UNTIL THIS VERIFICATION HAS BEEN RECEIVED. To avoid missing a job opportunity, it is important that you provide this verification as soon as possible. You only have to provide this verification one time. It is not required with every application. Attach documents to the online application, or via email to: email@example.com, FAX: 304-957-0396, or mail to: Division of Personnel, Building 3, Suite 500, 1900 Kanawha Blvd. E., Charleston, WV 25305.