State of West Virginia
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Health Service Worker - Veterans Nursing Facility
at State of West Virginia
- Nature of Work
Provides basic personal and nursing care related to the treatment, habilitation and rehabilitation for the mentally and/or physically challenged at the Veterans Nursing Facility in Clarksburg WV. Performs basic nursing care under supervision; performs basic personal and/or therapeutic treatment duties. Travel may be required.
Note: This announcement is for Health Service Worker jobs at the Veterans Nursing Facility in Clarksburg ONLY. Persons interested in HSW jobs in other agencies and locations MUST apply to separate announcements. NOTE: This announcement is not for a specific vacancy. It is used to build a list of qualified applicants for expected vacancies.
Hiring Process: APPLY ONLINE. We cannot accept paper applications without prior approval. If you must use a paper application due to disability, call (304) 558-3950 Ext 57207 for instructions.
NO WRITTEN TEST IS REQUIRED. Written testing may be required for other Health Service Worker jobs announced on this web site. You MUST apply for those jobs separately. Persons selected from this announcement will be expected to have a current CNA or Nurse Aide/Nursing Assistant license or registration, or completed a Nursing Assistant training program which included at least 120 hours of instruction."
Updating Your Information: If you have previously applied and want to update your name, address or email, do not re-apply. Simply login to your online account and click "My Account". Make changes and Save. If you must change or add work preferences, county availability, work history, or education, you may submit a revised application after 24 hours. We will use the most recent application. You may also send us a letter and we will update your record.
- Examples of Work
- Participates in a formal training program to develop the knowledge and abilities required for the class and for career growth and opportunity.
- Provides required personal care and hygiene services for clients such as bathing, grooming, dressing, and feeding clients.
- Teaches clients basic skills for the development of daily living habits regarding cleanliness, personal hygiene, dressing, and eating skills, etc.
- Motivates and encourages clients to promote their treatment and development by engaging in one-to-one discussions and supportive relationship with the clients.
- Provides nursing care such as taking temperature, blood pressure, pulse readings, and performs routine treatment and first-aid under the direction of a licensed practical nurse, registered nurse or physician.
- Interacts with clients in a therapeutic manner.
- Participates with other treatment team members in overall programmatic rehabilitation activities to facilitate change in the clients' behavior.
- Oversees or participates in planned recreational and social programs.
- Observes, records and reports clients' behavior, attitudes and physical condition and reports significant changes to proper staff.
- Serves as a role model in the training of less experienced workers.
- Escorts clients to meals, therapy, medical appointments and scheduled activities within and outside the facility.
- Performs duties necessary to maintain a safe, clean and orderly living and work area.
- Minimum Qualifications
Training: Education equivalent to graduation from a standard high school or equivalent. Applicants are required to have completed CNA or Nursing Assistant training.
Experience Required for Health Service Worker: None required. Experience may be preferred for some positions. Experience may be paid or volunteer and involve the care, treatment and development of the physically challenged or mentally ill or mentally retarded persons.
SPECIAL HIRING REQUIREMENT: In all cases, persons selected are expected to have completed approved Nursing Assistant training. Applicants for Health Service Worker positions in long-term care facilities/units must meet the following requirements:
1) Registration with the Nurse Aide Registry by passing a written and manual skills competency evaluation; OR
2) Sit for the written and manual skills competency evaluation within twenty-four (24) months of completing a state-approved curriculum which includes at least eighty (80) hours of instruction and thirty-two (32) hours of clinical supervision; OR
3) Certification through reciprocity from an out-of-state program approved by the state agency.
NOTE: You may attach your transcript or training records to the online application; however, verification is not required at time of application. Your application MUST contain complete education/training information. You will be required to provide verification documents if contacted by the agency.
NOTICE: If you are claiming college or other post-high school education or license, you MUST attach or provide by mail a legible copy of your OFFICIAL education transcript, license or training record. YOU WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR EMPLOYMENT UNTIL THIS VERIFICATION HAS BEEN RECEIVED. To avoid missing a job opportunity, it is important that you provide this verification as soon as possible. You only have to provide this verification one time. It is not required with every application. Attach documents to the online application, or via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org, FAX: 304-957-0396, or mail to: Division of Personnel, Building 3, Suite 500, 1900 Kanawha Blvd. E., Charleston, WV 25305.
If you decide to apply you will be required to answer the online Supplemental Questions shown in the tab above.
- Other Information
Applicants should meet one of the following:
- Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA), or
- Listed in the WV Nursing Aide Registry, or
- Completed an approved Nursing Assistant/Nurses Aide training program of at least 120 hours which included hands-on clinical training.
When you apply you MUST complete the Supplemental Questions shown at the tab above.
NOTICE: If you are claiming post-high school education, license or special training, you MUST attach or provide by mail a legible copy of your education transcript, license or training record. You will not be considered for employment until this verification has been received. To avoid delays in processing your application, it is important that you provide this verification as soon as possible. .
Your initial eligibility will be based solely on your responses.
Information on Training/Certification/Registration/Testing is available at this web site: [DHHR information on nursing assistant training and certification]