State of West Virginia
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Data Entry Operator 2 (P)
at State of West Virginia
- Nature of Work
Employee rapidly and accurately transcribes alpha/numeric data from routine source documents into computer usable form by operating any of several devices; uses multiple formats as guidelines for proper entry of the data. Accessing and manipulating the data normally is not required. Shift work may be necessary.
This announcement is not for a specific position opening, but is for future Data Entry Operator positions located in Kanawha County. A list of eligible applicant names will be provided to the hiring agencies as requested. Typically only 1-3 positions per year are needed. It is highly unlikely that Data Entry Operator positions will be available in any other county. Applicant may complete an online "Job Interest Card" to be notified if jobs in other locations are opened. Do not apply for this announcement unless you are available for work in Kanawha County.
DO NOT CALL TESTING CENTERS FOR QUESTIONS, CONTACT THE WEST VIRGINIA DIVISION OF PERSONNEL AT 304.558.3950 EXT. 0
Apply Online. Applicants who previously passed the Data Entry Test within the past year-DO NOT need to re-test or re-apply. Data Entry Operator classification does not require a written examination; however, a typing (keyboard) test is required. You MUST report in person, with a Photo ID, 30 minutes prior to the scheduled time at one of the testing centers listed below to sign-in and obtain an online test instruction sheet and access code. Data Entry keyboard tests are no longer administered at the testing centers. In order to be considered for employment, you must apply for each of these titles individually and you MUST apply PRIOR to reporting to a testing center.
NOTE: The online typing (keyboard) test for Data Entry is the same as all typing tests required for the West Virginia Division of Personnel. Other office support job titles require the applicant to take both a written test and the typing test. There is a 90 day re-test waiting period for all tests.
When you report to the test center, you will sign-in and receive an instruction sheet with an access code to self-administer the online typing test required for Data Entry jobs. After obtaining the access code, you will have 15 days to complete the online typing test. The test may be taken at any available internet connected computer (home, office, other). Public access computers are available at many libraries and at Workforce WV offices.
DO NOT take a copy of your online Data Entry Operator job application to the test center. DO NOT APPLY UNLESS YOU CAN REPORT TO A TESTING CENTER WITHIN 90 DAYS. If you must use a paper application due to disability, please call our office for special instructions. Applicants using a paper application must present a completed application form at the test center. Positive identification is required. There is a 90 day re-test waiting period. Caution: Any time you re-test, your new score will replace any previous test score.
If you have previously applied and want to update your name, address or email, do not re-apply. Simply login to your online account and click "My Account". Make changes and save. You do not need to re-apply or notify us to make account contact information changes. If you must change or add education, work history, work preferences, or county availability, you may submit a new updated online application after the waiting period, or you may send us a letter and we will update your record.
If you qualify, your application and test record will be active for one year.
- Examples of Work
- Types correspondence, reports, text and other written material from rough drafts, corrected copies, voice recordings, dictation, etc.
- Enters posts, verifies, proofs and/or edits data or information into a computer system, log, ledger or database.
- Transcribes dictation for a variety of reports.
- Enters routine to complex data into various types of computer systems.
- Follows procedures and established guidelines such as formats for entering data and/or dictation.
- Develops and maintains low-level format programs for new jobs.
- Posts to batch ticket or production log such information as the batch type, quantity, operator's name and section, data, number processed, number rejected, etc. after entering data.
- Verifies data entered by other operators using various types of computer systems.
- May identify errors on the source documents and make necessary corrections.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of office procedures, practices and methods.
- Knowledge of business English, spelling and arithmetic.
- Knowledge of the operation of data entry equipment.
- Knowledge of the data entry standards and formats used by the unit.
- Skill in operating various types of office equipment and computer systems.
- Ability to type accurately and rapidly and to edit documents without altering the intended meaning.
- Ability to read equipment and departmental manuals and implement their instructions.
- Ability to develop low-level format programs.
- Ability to understand and follow detailed instructions.
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks accurately.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Minimum Qualifications
Training: Graduation from a standard four-year high school or equivalent.
Experience: One year of full-time or equivalent part-time paid experience in data entry or transcribing dictation.
If you meet the experience requirement you do not need to verify substituted coursework.
Substitution for Experience: Completion of twelve hours in computer coursework from a regionally accredited college or university.
Completion of four courses in data processing, data entry, and/or word processing from an accredited business or vocational school may substitute through an established formula for the required experience.
If you are using coursework as a substitution for experience, you must provide verification documents. Official transcript must be submitted to our office.
NOTICE: If you are claiming college or other post-high school education or license, you MUST attach or provide by mail a legible copy of your OFFICIAL education transcript, license or training record. YOU WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR EMPLOYMENT UNTIL THIS VERIFICATION HAS BEEN RECEIVED. To avoid missing a job opportunity, it is important that you provide this verification as soon as possible. You only have to provide this verification one time. It is not required with every application. Attach documents to the online application, or via email to: email@example.com, FAX: 304-957-0396, or mail to: Division of Personnel, Building 3, Suite 500, 1900 Kanawha Blvd. E., Charleston, WV 25305.
- Other Information
No appointments are made. Apply online. Then, report to a Test Center. Your application will be inactivated if you do not test within 90 days. Close the new window to return here.
Click Here for Test Center Locations and Schedules
Beckley, Bluefield, Bridgeport/Nutter Fort, Charleston, Elkins, Huntington, Martinsburg, Moorefield, Parkersburg, Wheeling, White Sulphur Springs