Harrison County Schools
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Substitute Educational Sign Language Interpreter Aide
at Harrison County Schools
TITLE: Sign Language Interpreter
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Has High School diploma or a general
educational development certificate.
Able to translate the spoken word at a normal
conversational rate using a sign system.
Able to reverse interpret (voice interpret) from
sign language to the spoken word.
Has knowledge of deafness and hearing
impairments and their affect on language
In addition to the above criteria the applicant
will be evaluated on his/her ability to respond
to practical situations related to the specific
requirements of the posted position. This
evaluation may occur during the interview and
throughout the selection process.
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Principal
SELECTION: The position is filled by the Board of Education
upon recommendation of the Superintendent
SALARY AND EMPLOYMENT Salary - Based on service personnel salary
TERM: schedule. 200 day employment term.
FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES:
1. Is proficient in receiving and giving sign language.
2. Works under the direction and supervision of the deaf and hearing impaired licensed
3. Serves as a liaison between the hearing impaired, peers, and staff to promote an ease
4. Confers with the teacher of the hearing impaired, regular classroom teacher and other
appropriate staff to better plan for needed modifications and services.
5. Demonstrates self-improvement in signing/communication ability, use of specialized
equipment and understanding of the educational process through attendance at in-
service staff meetings, and continuing education.
6. Is aware of student needs as listed on the IEP and assist in meeting those needs.
7. Maintains and protects privacy and confidentially.
8. Becomes familiar with any special vocabulary.
9. Translates and/or interprets class discussions and lectures as needed and interprets
instructions as they are being presented.
10. Develops vocabulary lists, study guides, and other pertinent information.
11. Explains and/or modifies information presented in the classroom.
Page 1 of 2
SIGN LANGUAGE INTERPRETER
FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES (continued):
12. Guides independent study enrichment work and remedial work as outlined by the
13. Assists student with non-instructional classroom activities such as snack, toileting, and
clothing routine as needed.
14. Assists small groups of students.
15. Assists when required, in both formal and informal communications with the parent
concerning daily activities of the student.
16. Encourages the student to participate in class discussions by interpreting and reverse-
17. Is available to attend PTA meetings, parent conferences, etc., within reason, as is
18. Performs such other tasks and assumes such other responsibilities as the immediate
supervisor may from time to time, assign.
Job Contact Information
Friday, June 29, 2018 12:00 AM -
Thursday, December 31, 2020 11:59 PM
(Eastern Standard Time)