Harrison County Schools
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Substitute Classroom Teacher
at Harrison County Schools
TITLE: Substitute School Teacher
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Principal
SELECTION: The position is filled by the Board of Education upon
recommendation of the Superintendent of Schools.
SALARY: Based on teacher's salary schedule, certification and
EMPLOYMENT: 200 days
FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES: The successful applicant for this position must possess
and/or show evidence of the following:
*Valid West Virginia Certificate in the area for which
*Strong academic background.
*Demonstrates the ability to create a stimulating and
motivating environment for children.
*Exhibits a practical knowledge and understanding of
childhood developmental needs.
*Exhibits proficiency in planning lessons designed to
meet student needs.
*Demonstrates an understanding of procedures
utilized in the currently adopted Basal Reading
*Exhibits an understanding of principles needed to
obtain positive classroom student behavior via Assertive
*Demonstrates knowledge and/or experience relevant
to the position.
*Demonstrates skills in writing and peaking.
*Understands the concept of Developmental Guidance
and how it applies to the elementary classroom.
*Show evidence of experience and/or training in the
areas of reading/language arts, methematics, and
*Exhibits knowledge and/or experience working with
students that need remediation in reading/language
arts, and mathematics.
*Demonstrates expertise in the use of a variety of
*Exhibits knowledge of the different modalities of
*Knowledge and/or experience working with
*Demonstrates workable knowledge of the content
*Demonstrates the ability to select teaching strategies
that complements individual students' learning styles.
*Exhibits an understanding of the purpose of criterion
reference testing in the teaching/learning process.
*Demonstrates the ability to translate
reading/language arts, and mathematical objectives
into workable lesson plans.
*Demonstrates an understanding of how to use
computer software in the areas of reading,
mathematics, and composition.
*Exhibits evidence of skills and/or experience in
maintaining a cooperative working relationship with
staff, students, and public.
*Demonstrates knowledge and ability to implement
routine classroom management techniques.
*Understands and interprets test data in order to
improve learning, confidence and moral of students.
*Any combination of training and experience which
would lead to successful employment as an
*Any alterations to the aforementioned qualifications
as the Board may find appropriate.
FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES:
- Program of Study:
Provides curricula required by the State of West Virginia
- Bases instruction on adopted curricula for the school.
- Demonstrates accurate and current knowledge in subject field.
- Develops appropriate objectives.
- Employs appropriate instructional strategies.
- Utilizes content scope and sequence in planning.
2. Classroom Climate:
Provides an atmosphere conducive to learning consistent with school/county mission.
- A. Follows established school discipline procedures which include the WV Student Code of Conduct.
- B. Establishes procedures and rules that enhance learning.
- C. Encourages students' attendance.
- D. Sets high positive expectations for student performance.
- E. Encourages and acknowledges individual student accomplishments and appropriate behavior.
- F. Treats students in a fair and equitable manner.
- G. Accommodates individual learning differences.
- H. Creates and maintains an environment that supports learning.
3. Instructional Management Systems:
Organizes strategies for teaching to maximize the use of allocated instructional time to increase student learning.
- A. Prepares and implements lesson plans.
- B. Begins lesson or instructional activity with a review of previous material as appropriate.
- C. Has materials, supplies and equipment ready at the start of the lesson or instructional activity.
- D. Introduces the instructional activity and specifies instructional objectives.
- E. Directs students to be on task quickly at the beginning of each instructional activity.
- F. Presents reading, writing, speaking and listening strategies using concepts and language which students understand.
- G. Provides relevant examples and demonstrations to illustrate concepts and skills.
- H. Assigns developmentally appropriate tasks.
- I. Provides instructional pacing that ensures student understanding.
- J. Maximizes student time on task.
- K. Makes effective transitions between instructional activities.
- L. Summarizes the main point(s) of the instructional activity.
- M. Encourages students to express ideas clearly and accurately.
- N. Incorporates higher level thinking skills.
- O. Assists students to develop productive work habits and study skills, enabling communication with parents as needed.
- P. Provides remediation activities for students.
- Q. Designs, delivers, and assesses student learning activities addressing the state adopted instructional goals and objectives.
- R. Integrates a variety of technology applications and learning tools to augment student achievement.
4. Student Progress:
Gathers, stores, and monitors data related to student learning for use in assessing progress toward achieving the instructional objectives.
- A. Follows grading policies and regulations.
- B. Maintains accurate and complete student records.
- C. Monitors and evaluates students' progress.
- D. Provides feedback on student work.
- E. Monitors student attendance.
Communicates with students, parents, educational personnel and others. Utilizes standard grammar, listening skills, and clarity in the presentation of ideas.
- A. Communicates student progress according to established procedures and policies.
- B. Communicates regularly and effectively with students, co-workers, parents/guardians, and the community and exhibits appropriate interactive skills.
6. Professional Work Habits:
Demonstrates behavior which reflects established professional responsibilities.
- A. Adheres to established laws, policies, rules and regulations.
- B. Interacts appropriately with other educational personnel.
- C. Participates in activities which foster professional growth.
- D. Is punctual with reports, grades, records, and in reporting to work.
- E. Performs assigned duties.
- F. Strives to meet county/school goals.
Job Contact Information
Monday, October 22, 2012 12:00 AM -
Tuesday, June 30, 2020 11:59 PM
(Eastern Standard Time)